Wednesday, March 5, 2008

New Amsterdam, TV Show

New Amsterdam, which premieres tonight on Fox after American Idol, is going to be a huge hit or a huge flop. It has quite a few things working in its favor: an attractive star (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), an intriguing premise (detective will remain immortal until he finds true love), and a plum time slot for its premiere.

On the other hand, I found the first episode of the show to be utterly ridiculous. Again, that's not necessarily a bad thing; as I noted in my Pilot Watch last Summer, the show didn't work for me as a drama, but I thought it was an outstanding comedy. Or, upon further reflection, maybe I should have called it an outstanding soap opera. Every plot twist was so telegraphed, and every development so utterly unrealistic, that I couldn't help but be sucked in. Really, the guy's been living in New York for 400 years and nobody's realized that he still appears to be a strapping 40-something for all eternity?